Re: rich client db security in an untrusted environment

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 10:27:51 EDT

    I think Tomislav's assessment of the ROP security is pretty accurate
    in a sense that by default ROP has strong authentication mechanism and
    weak authorization mechanism. So any authenticated user has full
    select and modify access to all mapped entities. Although with some
    planning and a bit of effort, a user can implement a reasonable
    security policy to prevent authenticated users against elevating their
    permission levels... I am thinking along these lines:

    * Wrap and/or subclass ClientServerChannel to apply security policies
    to all incoming queries / commit requests.
    * Only allow NamedQueries and RelationshipQueries to be passed via ROP
    (most certainly no SQLTemplates or EJBQLQueries).
    * For RelationshipQuery check that source ObjectId is in the server-
    side DataContext cache already.
    * Disable onSync calls if the application is read-only.

    (I wanted to implement a basic security template in Cayenne with
    configurable checks like I described above, just didn't have enough
    motivation to do it yet).

    >> In this case I have complete autonomy deciding how we're going to
    >> build the application, but what would I do if I couldn't use ROP
    >> (say,
    >> no servlet container available)?

    Servlet container these days is just a bunch of Java classes. It's not
    like you need to install WebSphere or anything. Take a look at Jetty
    for example. You can instantiate a servlet container in your main
    method with a few lines of code.

    >> Other possibilities?

    Like Kevin said, any web services/RPC technology would work. You can
    make them very secure, by defining a full set of allowed operations
    via a set of "business" interfaces (and then use something like SOAP
    to expose them). But then you'd lose all the ObjectContext niceties.
     From the original message looks like there is an understanding of
    this tradeoff.

    Andrus