Call a service, but still with one DataContext

From: Chris Murphy (chri..trandz.org)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2008 - 21:24:16 EDT

    Hi Group,

    I am trying to get my head round how Cayenne would work with Spring
    services. The great advantage of Cayenne is that it is designed for
    exposing the domain model. But applications will still always have
    functions best performed as a service. Having two DataContexts leads to
    confusion. So is the solution is to have Tomcat embedded in Cayenne's
    server-side software? The requirement is to have no more than one
    DataContext per user on the server. (There will be a proxy-DataContext
    on each client to enable domain exposure). I'm trying
    to get my head around achieving "one DataContext".

    Would this embedded instance of Tomcat conflict with the server
    machine's already running Tomcat instance?

    I haven't yet looked at how Cayenne's server-side software is invoked.
    Can it only be sparked off as a servlet? Or can a program I write be
    sparked off say from the command line - in which case it could create a
    DataContext that is handed as a global to an embedded instance of Tomcat
    and thereby somehow made easily available
    to Spring services that the client apps will call back to?

    thanks - Chris

    --
    Seaweed Software Pty Ltd,
    http://www.strandz.org