General queries

From: Weddle, Anthony (Anthony.Weddl..luescopesteel.com)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 01:26:47 EDT

    We're looking at moving from Hibernate to Cayenne but I'm having trouble
    finding out how to perform queries that return arbitrary data, maybe
    they are sometimes called report queries. Something like Hibernate's HQL
    queries that can return arbitrary data (including aggregate functions or
    simply a bunch of columns from different tables that may have formal or
    informal relationships).

    I can't seem to find any examples of this. All of the query classes seem
    to require a specific class (or some specific entity) and the
    SQLTemplateQuery doesn't take Expression qualifiers or interpret POJO
    property paths.

    I assume that there is a not too complicated way to perform arbitrary
    queries, without having to go to raw SQL. Is that true?

    Thanks,

    Tony