Re: General queries

From: Robert Zeigler (robert.zeigle..mail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 15:50:03 EDT

    Well, Cayenne doesn't "force" you to use SQL.
    What it /does/ do is to /allow/ you to use SQL.
    An app I wrote awhile back had the requirement to generate reports
    from tables with on the order of a million records.
    There was no substitute for hand crafted, carefully optimized
    queries. Cayenne makes it easy to do that, if the need arises, via
    SQLTemplate.
    But SQLTemplate offers more than "just" SQL. You can script it (via
    velocity [http://velocity.apache.org] directives and variables); you
    can write customized queries for different backends (MySQL, HSQL,
    Oracle, etc.) which then "just work" based on which backend you're
    connected to (ie: in your code, you don't have to think about which
    backend you're connected to).

    But, if you're interested in sticking to object paths and
    relationships, EJBQLQuery provides a nice alternative.

    Robert