Re: Web site link to example and a proposal for a new example link

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2010 - 18:59:14 UTC

    Hi Martin,

    > May I suggest to add the Apache Cayenne examples below the success
    > stories on the main page or within the success stories. The examples
    > are quite hard to find (it's referenced on the cwiki index page) and
    > I could find it only through google for apache cayenne examples.

    I don't think examples belong on success stories page, as the purpose
    of the later is quite different - to highlight the use of Cayenne on
    some real-life projects. But answering your general point... The
    problem with the examples on cwiki, namely this link - https://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/cayenne-examples.html
      , is that all of those are old, unmaintained (as a matter of fact I
    just removed/changed some links that no longer work), and many are
    likely obsolete.

    This is a #1 link shown to me by Google when searching for "cayenne
    examples", so it is not hard to find per se, but the question is
    whether we want to endorse our old set of examples. I'd say them
    staying a step away from the main site is actually good in current
    situation :-)

    > If possible, somebody could add the link to my project as a further
    > example of using cayenne within different technology setups. A link
    > to http://yafra.sourceforge.net/ would be excellent. It is yet
    > another framework, but not in fact to be reused as such, more to
    > get / take what you need to have a better learning curve.
    >
    > I used cayenne with the DTO pattern within EJB3 setup serving an
    > Eclipse RCP EJB3 fat client (using Apache OpenEJB). As well a small
    > example using Apache Wicket with Cayenne. Working on a Google Web
    > Toolkit example and would like to move on to Eclipse Riena using
    > distributed OSGi (they use Hessian as well, seems to be an
    > interesting example). With the yafra framework I did already a ROP
    > example, but not yet published. All sources are under SVN as Eclipse
    > projects. I use Trac to document.

    Could you provide links to the parts of Yafra that can be used as
    standalone Cayenne examples (does this request even make sense in the
    context of Yafra? Not sure how it is organized) Or maybe alternatively
    you can provide us with a small writeup, explaining those parts that
    we can put on the wiki with links back to the appropriate pieces of
    Yafra?

    Cheers,
    Andrus