Re: Shipping fat jar?

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 17:23:05 EST

    On 04/01/2007, at 5:21 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > That's true. I am trying to find an equally usable solution. So far
    > I can think of a "lib/third-party" folder that I mentioned (and put
    > into the new assembly descriptor).

    How about a very low tech approach. Create a file as part of the
    deployment (or a web page for that matter), which lists every
    dependency, the appropriate version (or range of versions), and the
    URL of the place to get the jar. We do that in our own project so
    that we can easily track what we are using and where we got it from.

    When Cayenne moved to skinny jars the way I figured out what
    dependencies it needed was to keep running it, reading the exception
    and then installing that jar. I guessed that the most recent version
    of everything was the best thing to use, and they worked fine, but it
    would be nice to know exactly what versions of dependencies Cayenne
    is being tested with without reading the maven xml files.

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001