Re: Shipping fat jar?

From: Craig L Russell (Craig.Russel..un.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 21:19:42 EST

    Hi Kevin,

    I have no issues with having both fat and skinny jars, and multiple
    ways to configure both fat and skinny jars.

    I do suggest that if the identical information is in two places (the
    pom and the easier to find/read place) there is the opportunity for
    them to get out of sync.

    I don't know if anyone has ever done so, but perhaps a simple xsl
    script could scan the pom and extract just the info you're looking
    for. Myself, I found that the pom was easy enough to scan by eye to
    find the dependencies...[assuming it's a maven 1 pom that includes
    all recursive dependencies, unlike maven 2]

    Craig

    On Jan 3, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    >>> How about a very low tech approach. Create a file as part of the
    >>> deployment (or a web page for that matter), which lists every
    >>> dependency, the appropriate version (or range of versions), and the
    >>> URL of the place to get the jar. We do that in our own
    >> project so that
    >>> we can easily track what we are using and where we got it from.
    >>
    >> Doesn't the cayenne maven pom do this?
    >
    > It does . . . providing you're familiar with maven and know what
    > you're
    > looking for. Before I started using maven, I had no clue that this
    > was
    > the case.
    >
    > So, +1 for making it easier to find/read.
    >
    > Even still, as a new user, I really don't want to be bothered with
    > chasing dependencies. For most smaller apps, I still use the fat JAR
    > just because it's very simple. Granted, the other approach isn't
    > difficult, per se . . .
    >
    > --
    > Kevin

    Craig Russell
    408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russel..un.com
    P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!