Re: DbEntity Comments

From: Dirk Olmes (dir..anthippe.ping.de)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 08:24:20 EST

    > Hi All,

    Hi,

    > We use Cayenne day in day out for a lot of our work, and the Cayenne
    > Modeler has a pretty central place in maintaining the database design,
    > and hence the application design.

    Documentation for the database model has been an issue that I was
    interested in since the EOF days.

    > Being able to have comments associated with DbEntity attributes and
    > relationships would be an extremely useful feature, especially with
    > large teams, where a design is being shared with other members, or
    > even to simply come back and remember some of the original design
    > thinking.

    My main concern with comments in the model would be that they are possibly
    going to be loaded into the runtime as well ... this only wastes memory.
    My approach was to store documentation of the model separately to the
    model itself. IIRC I have such a documentation app half finished for
    cayenne lying around at home. I can have a look if somebody is interested

    -dirk

    --
    Anyway kids, have fun, play nicely, be good. And remember - if it ain't
    broke, hit it again.