Re: Cayenne vs EOF: How to questions?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 22:57:57 EST

    Dov Rosenberg <dov.rosenber..onviveon.com> wrote:
    > The only thing I can think of that we use to some extent is key value
    coding

    The default representation of attributes on your DataObjects are key/value,
    so that shouldn't be an issue.

    > and some of the NotificationCenter notices when EO's get changed. We
    > modified the JMSChangeNotification framework from Project Wonder to only
    > send out the EOGlobalIDs of the changed records instead of the whole
    > snapshot.

    There's a number of hooks for being notified of events, one of which would
    be to listen for SnapshotChanged events. It includes a Map of differences
    rather than the whole object. You can also set up a DataContextDelegate to
    listen to finishedMergeChanges(DataObject).

    > We also make extensive use of EOSharedEditingContext in our JSP
    > tag library. Is something like that available in Cayenne?

    Yes, I think that's available since Cayenne 1.1, but I haven't used it. I
    can't seem to find the docs on it.
    You can either search the main site (see Cayenne home page) or look through
    some of these.

    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/api/cayenne/org/objectstyle/cayenne/access/DataDomain.html#isSharedCacheEnabled()
    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/perform/caching-lookup.html
    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/fetch/result-caching.html