Re: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 13:24:07 EDT

    On Aug 24, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

    > On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 09:09 -0400, Kevin Menard wrote:
    >

    >> On Aug 24, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
    >>

    >>> The .xml file's provide some capabilities that are not easily
    >>> achieved
    >>> with a GUI:
    >>>
    >>> - compare versions. Vital part of revision control.
    >>> - it tells the entire story. It is very hard to go over everyting
    >>> via a
    >>> GUI from A-Z.
    >>>

    >> I'm able to do both of these currently with Subclipse. I'd
    >> imagine it
    >> works for other SCM plugins.
    >>

    > I simply meant to say that XML files lend themselves well to a text
    > compare.
    >
    > IMHO, the benefits of a graphical representation of the differences
    > between two versions of Cayenne .xml files would be marginal.

    I didn't suggest a graphical representation. What I said is that you
    currently can compare two XML files in Eclipse quite effectively
    without the need for some special Cayenne plugin.

    >>> - the help available while editing .xml files(as in Spindle)
    >>> provides
    >>> another vector to deliver documentation to the developer for what
    >>> capabilities are availble.
    >>>

    >> What does this offer over the documentation for the modeler?
    >>

    > The best I can do is to suggest that you try Spindle to see how this
    > works in practice.

    I use Spindle quite regularly. It's a wonderful tool. However, you
    really haven't answered my question.

    > Note that I'm not saying XML *instead* of a GUI, but in addition to a
    > GUI. XML/GUI are two different views of the same data and both
    > should be
    > first class citizens.
    >
    > As far as I can understand, you'll never use the XML editing
    > features. I
    > on the other hand prefer using both, but for different purposes.

    As far as I can tell, the page spec editor for Spindle basically
    provides auto-complete based upon a DTD. There are plenty of XML
    editors out there that will do this. Of course, the issue is with
    custom data types, which Spindle will also suggest. I'm just not
    seeing the real benefit here I guess.

    --
    Kevin