Re: Eclipse Cayenne plugin

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 13:33:02 EDT

    > I didn't suggest a graphical representation. What I said is that you
    > currently can compare two XML files in Eclipse quite effectively
    > without the need for some special Cayenne plugin.

    OK. Then we agreed from the start.

    All I wanted to say was that reading and understanding the Cayenne XML
    is useful since it allows the developer understand textual diffs.

    > > > What does this offer over the documentation for the modeler?
    > >
    > > The best I can do is to suggest that you try Spindle to see how this
    > > works in practice.
    >
    > I use Spindle quite regularly. It's a wonderful tool. However, you
    > really haven't answered my question.

    The documentation and learning is much more tightly integrated with the
    work process when you get documentation simply by hovering over some XML
    or pressing ctrl-space to complete some XML statement.

    > > As far as I can understand, you'll never use the XML editing
    > > features. I
    > > on the other hand prefer using both, but for different purposes.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, the page spec editor for Spindle basically
    > provides auto-complete based upon a DTD. There are plenty of XML
    > editors out there that will do this. Of course, the issue is with
    > custom data types, which Spindle will also suggest. I'm just not
    > seeing the real benefit here I guess.

    Sounds like this isn't something for you.

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com