Please suggest proper setup/usage for Oracle CHAR(1) (Boolean), NUMBER, and VARCHAR2

From: jah.volcano (jah.volcan..mail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 11:11:25 EST

    I would like to know the reccomended way to set up Cayenne (cay) mapping
    datatypes for Oracle. I pose some possible types below and would like
    to know if they are a good idea or not. Is there any documentation on
    this? I did not see any that would help me.

    I am using cay 1.2M8 and have had difficulty with the boolean type in
    MySQL and assume the same will apply in Oracle. When cay reads a DB
    value of 't', 'f', or null, the response seems to always be null. In
    MySQL, I switched the type to BOOL and then 'true' 'false' started
    showing in the DB and cay was happy. Oracle doesn't have a BOOL, I
    think they do have Boolean only accesible with PL/SQL, which does not
    interest me. I will try the CHAR(1) in Oracle to see what happens. Do
    you have a suggestion on this? What is a good way to work with booleans
    in cay? Do I need to convert a 't' or 'f' myself into a Boolean or will
    cay do this for me?

    Oracle Cayenne
    NUMBER NUMERIC
    CHAR(1) BOOLEAN