Re: cayenne in a (rich) client/server setup

From: Tomi NA (hefes..mail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 12:13:18 EST

    2006/11/15, Michael Gentry <blacknex..mail.com>:

    > DB and it worked well. As far as things to pay attention to ... I'd
    > use optimistic locking (which I'd recommend for a web-based
    > application, too) and refresh data you think needs to be refreshed.
    > Refreshing data is really an application/workflow specific detail, so
    > it is hard to generalize. Some things are obvious, like you can cache
    > the State and Zip Code tables, for example. Other things you'll have
    > to evaluate depending on your situation. It hardly ever hurts to
    > refresh data from common queries, unless the query is really slow.

    As far as refresh is concerned...
    Cayenne looks to the database for every query by default, correct? If
    an object changes after performQuery or getObjectByID returns, how
    would I go about refreshing the cache?
    Simply repeat getObjectByID or performQuery?
    So far I've taken the paranoid approach so everything comes straight
    from the database (i.e., I haven't paid any attention to the cache):
    I'll look into the possibilities of caching some tables. which
    shouldn't change.

    How does the "max. number of objects" fit into the story? What happens
    if I run a query which returns more then "max. number of objects"
    objects (I've tried it, but can't explain the result)?

    t.n.a.