Re: Cayenne vs EOF: How to questions?

From: Bryan Lewis (brya..aine.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 20:19:51 EST

    Re: Cayenne vs EOF: How to questions?Yes, we're also using Tapestry. We're happy with both platforms, but if I had to pick one, I'd say Cayenne has had the smoother learning curve. You can search the list for questions I've asked along the way; in every case Cayenne could do what we needed. Once or twice there was some small bug but it got fixed quickly. (Much better response than we'd gotten before!)

    The caching seems more intuitive than in EOF -- relationships are cached by default, queries are not. Raw-SQL queries seem to be more flexible than before. Being able to read and step through the source code is very useful. Not having to restart the apps every night because of memory leaks is pretty nice too. (Then again, we were on a pretty old version of WebObjects.)

    We recently had an outside Q/A contractor test our biggest new app. He found that our page-loading times were a little faster than in the old app, despite the fact that the old one had been tuned for years and the new one hasn't gotten to the tuning stage yet. So I can't think of any pauses. :-)